Rapid and accurate identification of infections is essential for early and targeted antimicrobial therapy. Several new technologies arose in the last decades (e.g., Maldi-TOF or PCR), however, these methods are expensive to implement, and there are also limitations in the diversity of identifiable pathogens. On the other hand increasing case numbers, the need for cost savings, and higher severity of cases make new solutions highly desirable.
Download the White Paper "DMI Technology"MetaSystems Indigo, the new sister company of MetaSystems, takes pride in presenting a new approach for multiple pathogen identification from a variety of sample materials at unmet speed and low costs. The new solution is based on Direct Multiplex Imaging (DMI). The DMI technology uses molecular DNA-beacons as probes for the identification of pathogens. DNA-beacons are hairpin-shaped structures that consist of a probe sequence (loop) and 3’ and 5’ ends (stem) that carry a fluorophore and a quencher. The loop sequence is complementary to a target sequence. When hybridization occurs, the stem opens and a fluorescent signal is emitted that can be detected by fluorescence microscopy. Unbound probes remain in the closed con firmation and the signal is quenched. With the combination of a test procedure to fluorescently label specific bacteria and a fully automated slide analysis system, it is possible delivering a positive identification of a problem causing pathogen in 35 minutes. MetaSystems Indigo is the first company to combine a novel DNA-based hybridization technology with automatic assay evaluation to enable a high throughput patient sample processing. The system allows detection of single as well as multiple infections in one sample, and scans up to 800 samples in high throughput mode. Results are automatically recorded, and images of samples are acquired and displayed together with the results data.
Derived to fit the specific needs of clinicians, all assays are designed to detect and identify those pathogens having a direct impact on the clinical decision making process:
- Blood Cultures
Positive blood culture bottles are analyzed, with the focus on the most relevant Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria. Covering the clinically most relevant pathogens in combination with an immediate identification within 35 minutes can provide a solution in 96% of the blood culture cases.
- Respiratory Samples
Native respiratory samples like sputum, tracheal or bronchial aspirates and bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL) are analyzed prior to sub-culturing with special focus on those pathogens having a high clinical relevance for hospital-acquired pneumonia. The information derived from this identification and differentiation can lead to a targeted antibiotic treatment decision in up to 70% of the cases. In the remaining 30% of the analyzed cases, the DMI technology can immediately lead to a more specialized and targeted testing. Therefore, the work-up procedures are optimized and streamlined.
The DMI system includes intrinsic controls, and in addition the intact cell morphology can be analyzed to further strengthen the validity of the result obtained. The automated analysis of slides prepared for microscopy eliminates the potentially error prone evaluation step of examining slides using fluorescence microscopy. The use of software algorithms and the use of preset thresholds allow unambiguous and unbiased evaluation of the samples. Additionally to the time saving by analysis automation physicians benefit from a comprehensive documentation of images and quantitative data. The use of the scanning system and new evaluation algorithms will facilitate more complex assays such as phenotypic evaluations for antibiotic susceptibility testing (AST), which will be a further benefit in the diagnosis of bacterial infections.